The Sanctuary Centre for the Arts is a former church that was purchased by Jason Pizzicarola. He wanted to offer the building as a space for the community to visit to enjoy such things as an art gallery, theatre performances, concerts, art classes etc. If there was ever a question about what to do this weekend, he wanted people to check out what was happening at the Sanctuary. It would be the place to be for local entertainment.
Once he purchased the building, he asked the Fort Erie Arts Council to help him out with this endeavour. Being an arts organization in existence for more than 5 years, the Fort Erie Arts Council was happy to take on this task. Having a new and bigger place to call home, the Fort Erie Arts Council moved into the Sanctuary in October of 2010. The FEAC rents the office/store space and its other responsibility is to hang art work on the walls to offer an art gallery. The main gallery is a multi-purpose space which means it can be rented out for community functions, weddings, showers, theatre groups and more. The partnership that the Fort Erie Arts Council and the Sanctuary have formed, is a strong one with the same vision for the building and the community. Between the 2, they offer lots for the community such as partnering to host concerts, classes and theatre.
In a nutshell, the FEAC rents the store space, and can rent the main gallery at any time just like anyone else. The FEAC’s responsibilities to the Sanctuary are to house an art gallery and keep the centre alive with the arts!
For FEAC info, call Sheri at 905-994-9724, 905-650-9724
For building rental, call Nadine 289-321-0502
The Sanctuary [Centre for the Arts] is a community based art gallery and performing arts centre. It is located in charming downtown Ridgeway where it is a hub of activity for people of all ages. The centre is a permanent art gallery and performing space which houses events such as theatre performances, art openings, concerts, fundraisers, fashion shows, conferences, weddings, etc.
The Fort Erie Arts Council encourages diverse artistic endeavors in the Fort Erie community to enrich the lives of its residents. We are committed to the development of a rich and sustainable environment for the arts and culture in the Municipality of Greater Fort Erie and to further develop a strong and thriving creative spirit through the arts as the heart of the community life.
We do this work through five key objectives:
- Art Creation and Presentation - to support the development of artists of all ages and abilities and arts organizations, encourage artistic excellence and provide opportunities for arts presentations in the community
- Advocacy and Public Awareness - To act as community leaders to increase the awareness of the arts for the benefit of the community
- Education - To promote Arts Education by expanding opportunities for the arts and to encourage diversity of arts experiences for young community members
- Community Development - To start and facilitate programs which increase participation by all community members in arts and cultural activities
- Resource Development - To develop revenue to operate and to develop resources for the community.
To learn how you can become a member click here
Board of Directors
- Sheri Ordinario
- Margaret Feaver
- Susan Dayboll
- Nadine Foerstenberg
Programs and Events Committee Chair
- Benjamin Featherston
Sustainability Committee Chair
- Donna MacLeod
- Ken Trinka
Membership Committee Chair